anObservation and anIdea

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Wed Jul 4 14:33:41 UTC 2001

> Not to discourage this effort, but from my observation beginner problems
> are so varied that no single person (at least I) can answer all of them.

> A much improved Squeak FAQ can solve most of the problems ...

It might be worthwhile creating a swiki (page) to manage a list of tutorial
topics.  People can add to the list of things they'd like to know, and
others can write swikis (pages) to address the questions.  The mailing list
is a great place to ask questions, and get answers, but the swiki adds a
single point of ingress, and revisable content, which can be written in more
of a tutorial form.

Some "easy" ones are things like:

	language basics
	using the most commonly used classes
	environment (tools) basics
		manipulating windows/tools/menus
		workspace
			do it
			print it
		browser
			creating classes
		fileIn
		saving your project
	debugging
		the magic of "halt"
		standard debugger & GA Tech "novice debugger"

A roadmap guiding the true novice would go with the topical sections.  This
makes "teaching" a community activity, and captures the information in a
dynamic, revisable, form.

	--- Noel