anObservation and anIdea

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 4 16:40:37 UTC 2001

"Noel J. Bergman" <noel at devtech.com> wrote:

> It might be worthwhile creating a swiki (page) to manage a list of tutorial
> topics.  People can add to the list of things they'd like to know, and
> others can write swikis (pages) to address the questions.  The mailing list
> is a great place to ask questions, and get answers, but the swiki adds a
> single point of ingress, and revisable content, which can be written in more
> of a tutorial form.
>
> Some "easy" ones are things like:
>
> 	language basics
> 	using the most commonly used classes
[and other good ideas]

Check out the "Learning to Squeak" page, which has a "Medium-Sized
Essays" section with topics like this.  Possibly that section should be
moved to its own page, but the point is, our Swiki actually has some
really good resources already!

If anyone really wants to help newbies, rearranging the Swiki would be
effective.  It would be nice if newbies could find things quickly, and
it would be nice if oldies could figure out what is missing and is worth
documenting.  I *knew* that such a list was on the swiki, but it took me
a few minutes -- it's listed under "Getting Started with Squeak" instead
of under "Documentation", which now that I think about it, is a pretty
fine line to draw.

Lex Spoon