StrongARM JIT?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jul 5 19:51:25 UTC 2001

Although I haven't done anything recently for a StrongARM Squeak JIT, I
did get to see (last week) an actual, finally working, StrongARM jit for
VisualWorks that I wrote six years ago at ParcPlace. Eliot M. had to fix
one dumb bug, add several new macros for new facilities added to VW
since I left and presto - it runs VW on a NetWinder! Amazing. Rather
slow since the gcc _still_ won't compile with optimisation on and cache
flushing is done by flushing a pipe (or something equally awful to force
a full context switch), but it certainly runs.

I have no idea whether Cincom will make a product out of it, but I
imagine if a customer wanted it they might well do so. At least it is a
nice demonstration that a) it can be done and b) that I got it more or
less right all those years ago.

tim

"Bother," said Pooh, as his trigger finger tired.