Recapitate on another X server (was: [ENH][GOODIE] OSProcess V2.3 (new release))

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jul 6 04:17:40 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 06:45:13PM -0400, Stephen Pair wrote:
> When you recapitate an image, it would be nice if you could specify the
> X server for re-capitation.  This would allow you to move the Squeak
> desktop from one X server to another.  On top of that, someone could
> write some code that would put up a user confirmation in Morphic after
> the switch over that if not pressed within say 10 seconds, would
> decapitate from the new X server, and recapitate to the original X
> server.
>
> Just a thought.  It would come in very handy for those Swiki
> servers...you could launch the server, then decapitate it.  Later, by
> sending some command to Squeak (via a socket, a pipe, through the web
> server, or something), it could re-capitate itself to whatever X server
> you desired.
>
> - Stephen

OK, this should do it. Start with OSProcess 2.3, then load the attached
change set, build the new plugin, and try it out. You should be
able to evaluate "UnixProcess displayOnXServer: 'anotherhost:0'" and
have the Squeak display disappear and reappear on another X server.

This comes with my usual money back guarantee, but I suggest saving
your image before trying it, just in case.

Dave