new CE/iPAQ VM

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Sun Jul 8 03:35:38 UTC 2001

> using the hardware button and make Morphic/UI
> usable on PDA is one way to improve it.

When the subject of a stylus-centric UI came up a few months ago, Alan Kay
spoke strongly on his feeling that Morphic + Genie are a solution that
people need to look more closely at, rather than discard.  Presumably one
would invent gestures to avoid the necessity for multiple buttons.  Since
you've included a Genie plug-in in the new VM, perhaps people should give
that approach a try.

> Actually, John Maloney has written a UI framework named
> PenSprites and we have been using it to build PDA-centric
> applications.

Where and when can we see a copy of this PenSprites UI to play with?  :-)

A pen-centric UI would be nice, but many of us would still want tools (e.g.,
browsers), so that we can do some programming on the PDA, rather than just
use the PDA as a end-user device.

In any event, if Diego really wants multiple buttons, e.g., for MVC, I
suppose someone could hack the VM for that purpose.

	--- Noel