3-button mouse on Mac OS X

Derek Hadlington djh at mac.com
Sun Jul 8 23:08:40 UTC 2001

on 8/7/01 9:56 pm, Doug Way at dway at riskmetrics.com wrote:

> I've been considering doing more Squeak development while using OS X,
> either the Carbon or Cocoa version.  It seems to work pretty well now,
> but there's still one obstacle -- I haven't figured out how to get my
> 3-button USB mouse to map properly to the option and command keys.
>
> This is more of an OS X problem than a Squeak problem, I guess, but has
> anyone gotten this to work?  I used to use the shareware program USB
> Overdrive on OS9, which was great for mapping mouse buttons to modifier
> keys for different applications.  (Actually, I'd settle for a simple
> global mapping now.)  USB Overdrive hasn't been ported to OS X yet,
> though.  The mouse I have is a newish Logitech 3-button scroll mouse,
> but the Logitech drivers don't seem to be OS X specific yet, either.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> - Doug Way
> dway at riskmetrics.com

I was wondering the same thing :-). I seem to remember some problems
detecting the Middle mouse button on MacOSX re standard HID drivers.
Wether this has been fixed I dont know . I'll have look at the X developer
docs. If it has I may be able to find some time to add it to the Carbon
and/or Cocoa version of the VM if enough people would like it and the
maintainers of the VM dont object :-))

Derek Hadlington

djh at mac.com