Plug-ins and Linux

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 9 06:28:07 UTC 2001

> I've now got all of Lex's stuff. Problem is that Linux and Lex's
> Makefile don't get on very well! This doesn't seem to have anything to
> do with the mpeg stuff......
>
> So I do my normal trick of stuffing everything into one directory and
> run:
>
> gcc --shared -o Mpeg3Plugin.so Mpeg3Plugin.c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
>
> and stuff the resulting .so file in my home directory.

The compilation steps are described in BUILD.UnixSqueak, but in short,
you can do:

	mkdir build
	cd build
	../src/unix/configure --prefix=$HOME
	make install

This will install the vm in $HOME/bin and the plugins in
$HOME/lib/squeak/, which it sounds like you will be happy with.  Another
common choice is --prefix=/usr/local .

Is this what you tried?  If so, what happened?  If not, please try it :)

> Now on popping open any of the MPEG Morphs and trying to get it to work
> on an mpeg I get: "error: a primitive has failed". It's as though Squeal
> can't recognise the plugin.

Yes, that does seem to be the problem.  The .so file either needs to be
in the current directory, or in the path Squeak is compiled to look in,
or in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

But frankly, managing all these files by hand is a pain.  It's probably
best to give the automatic tools another try.

Lex Spoon