Seeking advice: Version for creating plugins?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 9 16:25:02 UTC 2001

Michael Rueger <m.rueger at acm.org> wrote:
> Mark Guzdial wrote:
> > What version of Squeak are people using for creating projects that
> > will run with the plugin?  Is the plugin more like Squeak 3.0 or more
> > like Squeak 3.1alpha?  I asked for "Smalltalk version" in the plugin,
> > and it replies "Squeakland-3.1.3905" which makes me think that it's
> > 3.1 up to changeset 3905 -- is that about right?  Is it safest to use
> > 3.0 or 3.1?
>
> The safest is to use the Squeakland image :-)
> Seriously, it's safer to use 3.1.
> I'll  put out a new batch of updates for the Squeakland image in the
> next couple of days so it will catch up with th 3.1 image again.

This means people will need to download the plugin again, doesn't it?

The lurking versioning problem is serious.  When versions mix on a
SuperSwiki, media becomes difficult to access within months.  It seems
that, whenever the Squeak project decides to settle down and seriously
start growing a big collection of active essays, it will be necessary to
fix the version of Squeak they are written in.

It is possible in principle to make multiple versions interact nicely,
but even there it will be much easier if the number of versions is small
-- e.g., Squeak 3.0, Squeak 3.2, .... :)

Lex Spoon