Living happily together

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Mon Jul 9 21:15:13 UTC 2001

Direct manipulation is a good thing, but UIs can be developed that don't
require three mouse buttons, a prehensile tail, and a quick reference guide
glued to the mouse.

Ok, that's certainly tongue-in-cheek hyperbole, but there are already SELECT
(red), WINDOW (blue), and CONTEXT (yellow) mouse buttons, plus Morphic
halos.

> perhaps shift-drag will make the resize be
> either horizontal or vertical

This adds yet another thing for keyboard users to remember, not to mention
making Morphic even more difficult to use on stylus-centric devices.

> I'm hoping to essentially have 2 "rings" of halos: the
> inside ring for resizing/rotation, and the outside ring
> for the rest of the halo functionality.

I don't believe that meets your other criteria to "clearly [express] their
purpose without taking up too much room."  From your description it takes up
even more screen real estate than the current halo package.

	--- Noel