[BUG] minor MPEG bug under Linux?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 11:13:38 UTC 2001

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, John Hinsley wrote:
>
> > Normally I run Squeak from a little icon in Kde. Kde just executes
> > "squeak -memory 60mk" (about as much as I can manage in Kde without
> > squeezing everything else to death).
>
> That would be "60m", right?

Yes, but (from squeak -h):

-memory <size>[mk]   set initial memory size (default: 20m)  :-)

I've always found that completely counter-intuitive: I guess it should
read [m/k]!

> > Now, doing it this way, opening up the MPEGPlayer Morph and pointing it
> > at AlienSong.mpg (which everyone seems to use as a test) brings up the
> > debuger: error: a primitive has failed.
> >
> > Running squeak from the command line, I can run the mpeg,

> You have the Mpeg plugin in the current directory, so it works.  If you
> run Squeak from KDE, the current directory is probably somewhere else, so
> the plugin is not found. You can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the
> plugin directory.

Stuffing it in my /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.0/ (in my /etc/ld.so/conf) it
now works from the icon. But I get a primitive has failed error on
Squeak opening. If I dismiss this, it works. This error may just relate
to the sound: the thought occurs that if I were running a Mac, I'd be
worried if sound was'nt there. If I was running a *nix, however, I'd
quite expect it not to be.

> > but find, on inspecting the Xterm:
> >
> > john at molehole:~ > squeak
> > ioLoadModule(./Mpeg3Plugin.so): ./Mpeg3Plugin.so: undefined symbol:
> > mpeg3_total_astreams
>
> Maybe you did not use the latest plugin sources?

It's the latest Lex compilation, which looks like the latest *nix stuff.

> > /dev/dsp: No such device
>
> You should disable sound in the preferences, because you don't have sound.

I'll go and buy a soundblaster this weekend. (With a money back if Linux
loaths it guarantee.)

Thanks Bert. I've now got this pretty much as I want it.

Cheers

John