[Important Topic] Squeak Central position regarding SqueakFoundation

Rosemary Michelle Simpson rms at cs.brown.edu
Tue Jul 10 14:35:57 UTC 2001

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

> > I would like to have a Squeak Foundation with clear goal, money for hire
> > some good squeakers to help the community and I have the impression that
> > everything is stuck right now. Things should move, time is passing.
>
> Is that the goal?  Even if so, is that a clear goal?
>
> Help the community how?
>
> I thought this was an open source project.  Why does Squeak require
> money for this purpose?
>
> Further, can we realistically expect to generate revenues sufficient to
> pay salaries of even one, let alone some, good squeakers?

Shriram Krishnamurthi is hosting a weeklong TeachScheme workshop here this
week.  It is well attended (about sixty people)

As a struggling newbie I would love to have the Squeak Foundation
host a weeklong workshop on programming in Squeak, especially creating
Morphic applications.  I'll bet there would be good attendance!

R.