WindowFrame design

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Wed Jul 11 19:15:31 UTC 2001

Jim,

Your proposal sounds wonderful!  I've been interested in refactoring the
SystemWindow into something like this for a LONG time.  Unfortunately, I
haven't had any spare cycles to pursue this.  What you are doing is great!

I'd like to see your WindowFrame have an optional window menu too.  Meaning,
if a menu bar is defined for the window, the frame would own it and thus the
window's client would not have to care about whether or not it's bounds
overlap the menu bounds.  Then, if such a menu is desired, the window client
could register menus and control menu items by sending the WindowFrame's
menuBar a command.

This is very exciting!  I can almost smell the business apps growing out of
this!

Cheers,

---==> Chris

PS>  It may also be desirable to have i-vars to hold onto a bottom status
bar, collections of top/bottom/left/right flap panes, tear off tool bars,
etc.  If the WindowFrame is the owner of these things that "color" a window,
then the window client can be ignorant of them.  This could significantly
simplify an application.

PPS>  If additional window attributes are added (per my PS), it may also be
desirable to add some run-time configuration capabilities to WindowFrame.
e.g. show/hide menu/toolbar/status bar/flaps, set fonts for
title/flaps/status bar, etc.

Great stuff!  :-)  :-)  :-)