Wanted: list admins

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Jul 12 09:44:15 UTC 2001

You may have noticed that we transferred this mailing list to a new list
server. The mailing list software has one quirk, which we can endlessly
discuss: postings by non-members to the list are held for review by the list
administrator(s) rather than refused immediately.

As long as spammers don't flood the list, this is actually OK because people
often post sensible things even when they are not subscribed. One or two times
a day, you go through the queue and accept/reject everything that's held for
moderation.

There are two possible resolutions:
1. Patch the list software so that non-member postings are bounced
2. Add 2 list administrators to the team so that the workload is spread out.

It seems to me a good idea to at least try to do the moderation - if two
people volunteer (and I accept them - there needs to be a bit of friction in
handing out administrative access to mailing lists ;-)), we could try this for
a couple of months and see whether it works out. Otherwise, we'll implement
the alternative.

Regards,

Cees