linux install question

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 22:19:34 UTC 2001

Timothy Reaves wrote:

>         Hello all.
>
>         I'm attempting to get Squeak up-and-running.  I have the Squeak-2.8-3 RPM.  I have a few questions.
>
> 1) What other files do I need?  I would expect an RPM to contain everything needed, but the README is somewhat unclear on this.
>
> 2) What is the Squeak-ffi-2.8-3 RPM for?

I've never installed it from an rpm. But:

doing rpm -l (main squeak.rpm) should show you what's in there. If it
lists a vm (probably a file called "squeak") a squeak.image and a
squeak.changes and maybe some other bits and peices it's certainly all
there. You've nothing to loose from doing rpm -i anyway! If it goes pear
shaped do rpm -e ;-)

2.8 is no longer the latest stable Squeak. Unless you have reasons for
doing otherwise, I'd go for 3.0 or even 3.1. (which is alpha, but pretty
stable by any standards). But you could leave that till later.

ffi stands for Foreign Function Interface. Chances are you'll never need
it (on the basis if you need to ask.....) but you might as well put it
on unless you're really short of space.

Cheers

John