Morph for moving images around, animations, etc.

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 22:56:32 UTC 2001

r summers wrote:

> I'm a newbie to Squeak Morphic!  What a fantastic program!
>
> I'm a civil engineer based overseas and do a lot of work in linux that
> involves presentations, simulations, desktop publishing etc. of complex
> technical concepts -- I find that many people don't have good visulization
> skills and that computer graphics/animation (especially Blender, Gimp, etc)
> are a wonderful way to show audiences what is happening in a material or
> system.  However, as of yet, I haven't found any core program to bring all
> of these elements together on screen -- that is until I came across Squeak
> Morphic.  Although I've been programming since the 1970's I haven't used
> Smalltalk until recently -- but it's a fantastic language as I see it.
>
> My questions are - does anyone have any suggestions out there for a morph
> that can move grahic images such as a jpeg, gif etc around in a world
> setting? Is there a way to show targa, jpeg or mjpeg animations, and swf
> animation files?  I've also compiled in plugins for mpeg sound and movies --
> suggestions on how to show these too?

If you use open up the "world" menu (left button on Linux) select
open... then file list and direct the file list to a swf (flash) file,
highlight it, middle mouse and open as flash, it'll play. For the mpegs,
from the world menu select new morph, under media MPEGPlayerMorph. Point
the file dialogue at an mpeg and it'll play.

You could always drop these objects into different pages in a book morph
for a presentation.

As yet, I don't think there's anything for animated gifs (let alone
mjpeg).

You really need a copy of Mark Guzdial's book "Squeak: Object-Oriented
Design with Multimedia Applications ISBN 0-13-028028-3. (Third plug
today!)

In the meantime, you can probably find some ideas either on the swikis
(follow the signs from www,squeak.org) on Bob's Super Swiki, or at
www.squeakland.org. There's also some really good stuff for the next
Squeal book at:

http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/squeakbook/35

Have fun!