Try Cassowary Again!

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Jul 14 00:12:39 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 04:51:11PM +0300, danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
> Pretty cool.
> There seems to always be an arbitrary (surprising) elements to the way
> the constraints are resolved when I change things - is the solver trying
> to change as few variable as possible?

Yes, this is the nature of the simplex algorithm that Cassowary is based
on.

> This might make a Morphic/Cassowary interface somewhats strange to work
> in..

Possibly.  I imagine that one would get used to it.

> Or maybe there's a way to specify what should change?

Well, you can tell some values to change in preference to others (eg:
change a morph's position before you change its extent).  However, if
the objective function can be optimized just as well by changing one
variable a lot, Cassowary will never distribute the change over multiple
variables.

Thanks for your interest,
Joshua