linux install question

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat Jul 14 10:31:06 UTC 2001

Timothy Reaves wrote:

> If the changes file is so large, what is done with it?  The last time I programmed Smalltalk was >VW under OS/2, and was years ago.  When you received a chages file, you loaded in the entire thing.

I think we're talking of two different things here: on the one hand
there's squeak.changes (which sits happily on your hard drive and, if I
understand it correctly, is the sum of all the changes made to your
Squeak system from its origins) and .cs files which are chunks of code
which automatically (so to speak) write themselves to your system so
that, say, my sending you a changeset (and you filing it in) is the
equivalent of my coming to your house and manually creating a couple of
new classes, a subclass or two and so on. These are pretty small. You
simply file them in from the World menu (just as you can do for .st
files).

I've just realised that projects -- .pr files -- also do a similar kind
of thing (although I'm not entirely sure of the mechanism).

Being a careful kind of person (sometimes) I tend to keep a back up of
both my image and changes.

Cheers

John