Using Soap Opera

Masashi Umezawa umejava at mars.dti.ne.jp
Sun Jul 15 15:26:00 UTC 2001

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hans N. Beck" <HNBeck at t-online.de>
To: "squeak at cs. uiuc. edu" <squeak at cs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 4:40 PM
Subject: Using Soap Opera

> Hi,
>
> I've tried to make a connection between a Visual Basic Soap Service
> (using Soap Toolkit 2.0) and Squeak using Soap Opera. But it's not clear
> to me how to use Soap with it. Has anyone experience with Soap/Squeak or
> sample code ?
>
> Greetings

The current version of SoapOpera (0.2) only supports Squeak-specific
encoding.
Although Squeak-specific encoding is simple and powerful, it is true that it
has an interoperability problem.
Actually I'm now developing a new version (0.5), which will support
"standard"SOAP encoding (described in the SOAP specification).
It will also provide Squeak-specific encoding and SRP encoding (
http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/About+State+Replication+Protocol+(SRP)
).
So the interoperability will be greatly improved.

SoapOpera has two layers; basic SOAP layer and more user-friendly ORB layer.
I've already rewritten core SOAP layer classes. I think I could release the
new core SOAP module in a few months.
Its API will be rather primitive (as seen in other SOAP implementations),
but you can talk to those other SOAPs without ORB layer.
I believe many squeakers do not like to use primitive API.  So I will
develop the ORB layer in the next months.

Thanks,

---
[:masashi | ^umezawa]