Building VM for Mac OS X

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Wed Jul 18 16:30:37 UTC 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Marcus Denker wrote:

> The Carbon VM is build using CW (commercial), I think. But it should
> be possible to compiler the Carbon sources using gcc. It=B4s allready pos=
sible
> to build squeak with MPW/GCC on MacOS9, so it should be simple, only new
> makefiles need to be written.

I've used CodeWarrior to build VM for OS9, but OS X has a native binary
format that makes debugging easier.

OK.  Makefiles may not even be a problem.  ProjectBuilder will create its
own makefiles, and I can add the files to ProjectBuilder by hand.

When building the Unix VM, I noticed a 'gnuify' script which worried me.
I don't know how to run it by hand if necessary.

I'll try to take the Carbon source out of the image (which I hope is close
to the most recent version) and try to import it into ProjectBuilder and
see where I get.

-Eric