Soap(Opera) vs CORBA

Masashi Umezawa umejava at mars.dti.ne.jp
Thu Jul 19 06:17:27 UTC 2001

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elzbieta Chludzinska" <elzbieta at operamail.com>
To: "Squeak List" <squeak at cs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 3:12 AM
Subject: Soap(Opera) vs CORBA

> How does Soap(Opera) compare to CORBA?  How are they alike; how are they
> different?  When will SoapOpera be ready for prime-time?

In SOAP FAQ: http://www.develop.com/soap/soapfaq.htm, it is explained as
follows:
---
Does SOAP replace COM or CORBA?

No. COM is a component model. CORBA is a specification of services that are
useful for building distributed applications. SOAP is simply a communication
protocol that COM or CORBA objects can use to communicate.
---

Briefly, SOAP is more light-weight and web centric than CORBA.  CORBA is
powerful, but too massive for many developers.
I think wrapping SOAP with tiny ORB (not CORBA) is a good solution.

About the next SoapOpera, I can not say the exact release date.
I am a full-time worker, so it is very hard to find the time to develop
SoapOpera.
I really need contributors. I will soon update my site to show SoapOpera 0.5
snapshot sources for impatient hackers.

Thanks,

---
[:masashi | ^umezawa]