Squeak on Linux/iPaq page updated

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Jul 19 22:56:04 UTC 2001

Hi Folks:

At long last I've updated things at my Squeak on Linux/iPaq page
(http://www.reasonability.net/ipaq).

I have a new Linux-ARM compiled VM linked off that page.  This VM was
generated from a fairly recent 3.1 image, and contains the Genie Plugin as
well as OSProcess 2.2.  It also contains the serial port fix for the 2.4.X
kernel series that appeared some time ago.  CommandWindow is included as well.

The VM is built with GCC 2.95.1.  I tried building with GCC 2.95.3, but Squeak
segfaults on startup when run on the latest stable release of Familiar (found
at www.handhelds.org).  Probably some more wierdness with ARM for GCC, who
knows. :(  As before, this is an unoptimized VM due to perpetual optimisation
bugs in ARM GCC.

I also uploaded a new TinySqueak.image.  This image is a 3.0 image with Genie
backported to it (thanks, Nathanael!).  The reason I'm not using the 3.1 image
anymore is size....try as I might I couldn't get the latest 3.1 image to
shrink down to anything smaller than 8 megs, which is too big for my purposes.

The new TinySqueak.image is roughly 4.8 megs in size, and that's WITH Genie,
OSProcess+CommandWindow, and Morphic.  Tiny!!

I've also linked to my shrinker changesets of there, for anyone that's
interested.  The latest shrinker jettisons a -lot- to get that 4.8 meg image
size, but the image is quite functional (a perfect Squeak Runtime Environment
for loading your changesets into).

(I'm trying to keep things as small as possible...I want to work within the
limits of the stock iPaq, with no added flash RAM or microdrives. :)