[OT] RE: M$ banging nails into java's coffin?

Edmund Ronald eronald at rome.polytechnique.fr
Fri Jul 20 08:47:17 UTC 2001

M$ is doing a Netscape Act II here. They are killing Java's run-anywhere
distribution model. After this it becomes just-another-C-type-language. It
may be very succesful as a programming language. But it will not threaten
M$ with the prospect of application programs running on screens that have
not paid the M$ tax. Ultimately, however, the Java people can only blame
themselves - their language was too cumbersome to prosper in its niche
despite all the help it had.

This should be a lesson for the Squeak crowd:
1. Make a language which is REALLY run-everywhere (In-browser Squeak demos
   run very badly on my OS X TiBook). RELEASE A RELIABLE PRODUCT!

2. Make a language which does not iterate through 10 incompatible
   versions (after release). RELEASE A MATURE PRODUCT !

3  Make a language which does not iterate through 10 different GUI models
   (remember AWT, SWING ?) RELEASE A FULL-FEATURED PRODUCT!

4. Make a language WITH a GUI builder at release so people can do their
   little office dev jobs _fast_ . RELEASE A USEFUL PRODUCT !

5. Do not threaten Microsoft. DO NOT BREATHE OR ATTEMPT LIFE :)