[OT] RE: M$ banging nails into java's coffin?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Jul 20 12:36:05 UTC 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Peter Crowther wrote:
[snip]
> The naysayer here faces the same problem as does the proponent of almost any
> minority product or behaviour: showing that a different product or behaviour
> has a better balance of risk and reward.  Squeak (as a general software
> system) faces the same problem if it is ever to be used as anything other
> than a toy by anyone other than its core team:

Just a minor correction (feeling corrective this morning) which
technically probably isn't necessary since your more general point is
doesn't depend on this, but, Squeak *is* used as other than a toy by other
than its core team (indeed, it's used *as* a toy *by* the core team :)).

I.e., there are companies that have, and that still, use Squeak as their
business development system.

I don't consider many of *my* uses of Squeak to be "toyish", although my
needs are modest and any industrialite is free to laugh in my face :)

> how to be a system that has
> low perceived risk (for development) and high perceived reward (ditto).

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.