Some feedback

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Fri Jul 20 13:18:21 UTC 2001

Bill Schwab wrote:
> (3) I use lots of background processes, and like to name them.  It
> would be nice to have a #name[:] aspect of Process rather than
> having to externally assign names as is done in the
> ProcessBrowser.

Comanche has long had the ability to store context information along
with a Process.  If you load Comanche into your image, you and then add
#name and #name: methods to Process (which just access the #name key in
the context dictionary).  I did that same thing for some work I'm doing
right now.  If you don't want to load all of Comanche, I can send a
small change set that adds context to Process.

I would recommend that the context capability be added to Process, not
just a name.  In comanche it's used to associate an HttpRequest with the
process that is forked to handle it.  I put a bunch of stuff relating to
stacking contexts in there...I'm not sure it's that useful, and I'm
concerned that it adds unnecessary complexity for little
benefit...anyway, it's all in the Comanche download.

- Stephen