I'm New Here

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sat Jul 21 15:52:58 UTC 2001

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Excuse the pedantry, but  can't stop myself from correcting a little

Me too!

> > I love the Smalltalk paradigm. It is so fast and powerful. But
> > unfortunately no one has set a useable standard of the language for
> > developers.
> Well, there is an ISO standard, which is more than many so-called
> competitor languages can claim.

Actually, isn't in an ANSI standard? And a very nice standard it is!

Now is the ANSI standard "useable"? Well, I think so. I don't *think* any
St implementation is fully ANSI compliant, though most are fairly
compliant and improving (espeically given the Camp Smalltalk
efforts). If you write ANSI code you're likely to do well. There are other
portable ("standard") stuff too.

> > Most needed would be a Smalltalk to C translator for the end-user
> > development extension classes, which would be capable of handling
> > several of the most common hardware platforms. This translator would
> > need to be high-level buffered from specific hardware/OS requirements
> > much as Smalltalk uses a few primitives to buffer the hardware/OS
> > specifics from the programmer.

I didn't follow this.

> What? Why would one want to translate to C in any general sense? Squeak
> can take SLang (see Andy Greenbergs chapter in the Squeak book
[snip]

Smalltalk/X has embedded C in methods. Dunno how much it gets used.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.