squeak and st80

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Jul 21 19:59:02 UTC 2001

Robero Allende <rallende at harlan.di.unc.edu.ar> wrote:
> I'm looking for an article, or smt similar, about smalltalk 80, squeak and
> ANSI-ST... relationship between them... and so on...  do you you know
> something ?

There should be!  I've added an FAQ for this:

===== http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1954 =====
FAQ: Smalltalk

Squeak is a direct descendent of Smalltalk-80; the core developers of Squeak in fact include most (all?) of the core developers of Smalltalk 80. Squeak's language language and much of the class library is identical to that of Smalltalk 80: they both have objects, classes, single inheritance, blocks, garbage collections, collections, streams, model-view-controller, and many other bits.

ANSI Smalltalk is an international standard for Smalltalk. While Squeak is Smalltalk in spirit, it is not currently (July 2001) compliant with ANSI Smalltalk standard.

There are already good pages about ANSI and about Smalltalk-80 on the wiki, and I won't post them because they are too long and because I don't feel like redoing the HTML formatting for text email....

-Lex