Smalltalk deployment ( was RE: I'm New Here )

Frank Lesser squeak at Lesser-Software.com
Sat Jul 21 23:55:07 UTC 2001

Hi Andreas,

 ok, I should agree that obfuscation can be solved - but I don't know any
ST-environment which solves it.
because of Smalltalk nature the only thing you can do easy is to obfuscate
class names - and temps - if you start to obfuscate method names - good
luck - printOn: - just not a good example because someone could argue it
belongs to the development part -printOn: will become a0815: ...

Can you produce an obfuscated working version the balloon engine fast ?

But Andreas, I agree source-code protection may be not big issue for a lot
of developers - maybe they are not aware of ...

Smalltalk is a System - not a language - and if you think it's time to make
a production version - you will have to
think of how to extract the relevant code. It's despite of that some
environments support it with tools not so easy.

In Java, C++ and C# you do deployment every time you test.

But I don't like to focus on decompilation / obfuscation.
I believe translation is relevant to deployment - if you can drag out your
application out of the development environment
- translate it to Java / C, C++, C# or binary - Smalltalk would be more
attractive.

Cheers Frank