Bongo a Java for kids

Edwin Pilobello edwinp13 at home.com
Mon Jul 23 17:44:22 UTC 2001

Bongo is now Yoyo.  Yoyo development (I believe) has moved with Uri Wileski
to Northwestern University.  It is the Java implementation of StarLogo.
StarTLogo runs only on Macs.  NetLOGO, is the current incarnation and
(still) freeware in beta form from Northwestern.  It has a multi-agent,
multi-object, "parallel" processing structure.

The "parallel" is not real "parallel".  In order to judge a horse race, one
needs to wait until a cycle of random forward movements is completed.  Same
with random "recombinant DNA" type modeling or their Traffic Management
model.  Right now, NetLOGO is my only excuse for a 1.7Ghz PC.

I have been playing with NetLOGO for a while now.  I'm trying to create a
"soccer" game where each of my students could program an object (the goalie,
for example) then form teams.  I would program the "ball", "referee", and
other officiates of the game.  The team needs to program their "coach".
This means a very good "Pele" owner would be in well sought out in these
Techno-folk game.  Alas, I've only had enough time to tinker with the ball.
It reports its position along a 2D plane, but suffers greatly (my math
skills, I'm sure) when in the air.  I shudder to think what kind of AI logic
I'd have to come up with when it has to be kicked, tricked or roll on the
grass.

I have been teaching LOGO to kids as young as 3rd grade in Oregon Public
Schools.  The concept of multiple turtles is something even my High School
students have difficulty visualizing.  I'm sure Bongo would have been
applicable for kids.  I believe YOYO is implemented in a couple of Lifelong
Kindergarten projects at MIT.

Cheers!
:-)  edwin