[Rant] Shrinking problems and rampant interdependencies

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 23 23:57:23 UTC 2001

I'm trying to shrink an image. I need make an image with morphic but
relatively little else outside the typical core stuff.

In other words, a fairly typical sort of setup that many of us might
want to use for a demo package; indeed very like the setup we used for
the exobox code. It's not too hard to hack the majorShrink code to leave
in morphic, add some code to dump odd parts of unwanted Morphic etc, but
there are so many places where rampant interdependencies screw you.

Just as a for example, why does StandardScriptingSystem hold all the
icon Forms used in the debugger? You can't dump that class if you want a
working image. Foo!

I swear there are even more than back in 2.8. I'm annoyed.

tim