[Rant] Shrinking problems and rampant interdependencies

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Tue Jul 24 12:09:48 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 06:42:10PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
[snip]
> This doesn't sound right. The Squeakland plugin image (which is 3.1 based)
> is about 5.5MB and it includes everything but FFI, 3D, Speech, and VM
> construction stuff.
>
> BTW, a common reason for large images are change sets - dumping all the
> updates can bring you a long step forward.

How do I dump the updates?  My shrinkForIpaq method is essentially
a copy of majorShrink with some key changes (ie dump MVC, keep anything
that breaks Morphic if removed).   If majorShrink abandons the updates
then it's probable that my shrinkForIpaq does as well.

I usually do a "Smalltalk shrinkForIpaq" followed by
"Smalltalk abandonSources; condenseChanges".

> > Also, I think something may be funky with the "Help->space
> > left" command in TheWorldMenu...whenever I select it, it ALWAYS
> > reports that there is "one undo record left in the system."
> > Not sure if this is normal, or if if this means there is something
> > hanging around in memory that just refuses to get GC'd.
>
> The latter. The following will do the trick:
>
> 	Smalltalk allObjectsDo:[:o|
> 		o isMorph ifTrue:[o removeProperty: #undoGrabCommand]].
>
> [This is due to a period between updates in which the undo command was not
> properly nuked]
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Ah...thanks for that.  It wasn't causing me any problems, but it was kind
of annoying. :)