Microsoft removes Netscape support from IE; plug-in needsre-writing.

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Jul 26 12:24:58 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 12:43:00AM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
[snip]

> Makes me wonder ... if there aren't a bunch of guys out there who would join
> forces to write a free, open-source ActiveX/NSPlugin wrapper. Just for the
> benefit of mankind. I bet if I could find four or five experienced people
> who were willing to join that project we had it out and running in no time.
> Free for anyone who wishes to support IE "in addition to" other browsers.
>
> Do you know any such people?
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Well, this isn't exactly what you're thinking of, but I believe a couple
weeks ago the KDE team released a neat little hack that allows ActiveX
controls to be used in Konqueror.  I think it uses some unholy hack involving
WINE to make it work, but nonetheless...

Check:
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-07-10-003-20-PR-KE-MS

I imagine, at least on Linux, that this could be extended to work with
Mozilla/Netscape/Opera.