Microsoft removes Netscape support from IE; plug-in needsre-writing.

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 14:41:15 UTC 2001

Kevin Fisher wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 12:43:00AM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Makes me wonder ... if there aren't a bunch of guys out there who would join
> > forces to write a free, open-source ActiveX/NSPlugin wrapper. Just for the
> > benefit of mankind. I bet if I could find four or five experienced people
> > who were willing to join that project we had it out and running in no time.
> > Free for anyone who wishes to support IE "in addition to" other browsers.
> >
> > Do you know any such people?

Makes me wonder what would happen if no-one came to the Microsoft party.
Instead of being prompted to download the IE plug-in, you'd be prompted
to download Netscape and the plug-in. (Of course, you've got Netscape on
some old magazine CD, somewhere.) Now, if folk wrote to Mr.Gates and
told him that that was their intention......

> Well, this isn't exactly what you're thinking of, but I believe a couple
> weeks ago the KDE team released a neat little hack that allows ActiveX
> controls to be used in Konqueror.  I think it uses some unholy hack involving
> WINE to make it work, but nonetheless...
>
> Check:
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-07-10-003-20-PR-KE-MS
>
> I imagine, at least on Linux, that this could be extended to work with
> Mozilla/Netscape/Opera.

I'm not sure of how far it'll be taken, but there is a Windows port of
Kde in progress. If that grows to include Konqueror (which now uses
Netscape plugins) we could be approaching endgame.

Cheers

John