[OT] RE: Microsoft removes Netscape support from IE; plug-in needsre-writing.

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Thu Jul 26 16:36:57 UTC 2001

While I too am annoyed with Microsoft, I am pleased by the decision
against breaking them up.  The decision to pursue that direction would
only set a dangerous precedent that companies must "pay to play"...pay
the government that is, or they'll wreck your business.  It only puts
more money in the hands of government and lawyers, taking money from
those that earned it, and putting it into the hands of those that
extorted it.  Anyone remember the tobacco wars?  How much money did our
beloved gov't rape from that industry...did it do anything to curb
smoking or raise health awareness?  It sure fattened a whole lot of
pockets though...(Not to mention the subversion of congressional power
that occurred just to enable the gov't to bring the lawsuit).  Our gov't
is, after all, the largest corporation in the world.

For many years, Microsoft didn't play in the whole Washington lobbying
game...and that's probably exactly why they came under attack (the near
monopoly just gave the gov't a convenient excuse..."to protect
consumers").

I don't need or want the government's help against Microsoft...our
industry can take care of monopolies just fine (and MS will probably
collapse under its own weight like every bloated company eventually
does).  I suppose I'm more optimistic than most I guess.

The real danger is the human desire to topple the guy on top...at any
cost.

- Stephen