[OT] RE: Microsoft removes Netscape support from IE; plug-in needsre-writing.

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Thu Jul 26 21:25:36 UTC 2001

Jeff,

I agree with all of your points, and was especially amused that we both led
off with Mac OS X.

A PDA product using Squeak natively could be really cool, but who would fund
all of the applications necessary, and the integration with desktop apps?
And would they save enough money over licensing PocketPC from Microsoft, or
using one of the Linux distros?  None of the linux distros are polished (the
bane of linux), but would it cost more to license a polished product, or
polish a free one?  And what is the cost to maintain that product at a
compatible level to the other platforms going forward?  There is a JavaOS
based PDA OS (Savaje) available.  Same problem.  Might be great for a
vertical market environment, but who is going to deploy it widely, and why?

	--- Noel