[OT] re: funding open-source development, mass market quality

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Fri Jul 27 06:12:16 UTC 2001

> The problem is funding work.  There are issues apparent today with
> respect to a lack of funding...

	I don't think it's quite as bad as you make out. Strictly speaking,
open-source projects don't require direct funding, they require
programmer time. An job-seeking programmer spends a lot of time, which
could normally go toward open-source work, on finding a job. Programmers
with money have more spare time for open-source work, regardless of
where their money comes from.

> And although today's consumer digital imaging is attrocious, it is
> growing faster than anything. Average image quality is getting worse
> and worse, but the buying public doesn't know the difference.

	That may be true, but I think it's important to note the other
attributes which make digital imaging attractive (mostly having to do
with convenience, some novel affordances also). Many photographers know
the quality differences, but are motivated to make the tradeoff anyway.
It seems similiar to the current debate over digital technology in
comics (e.g., at scottmccloud.com).

-C

--
Craig Latta