[OT] RE: Microsoft removes Netscape support from IE; plug-in needsre-writing.

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com
Fri Jul 27 13:10:33 UTC 2001

Stephen Pair wrote:
>- very few people jump on C# because of its platform dependence, and
>immaturity...but they also decide to begin hedging their bets on Java
>lest they become a casualty of the MS vs. Sun war.

Corel ports .NET to FreeBSD, the open source mono project
(http://www.go-mono.com/)
will port the .NET runtime and the C# compiler to Linux. Another company
announced a port of .NET to MacOS/X.

.NET actually supports 17 languages running on one universal virtual machine
(including David Simmons Smallscript language - a superset of Smalltalk).

Maybe a few people will jump on C# but I'm sure a lot of people will jump on
.NET
with languages like SmallScript, Eiffel, Cobol, C++, VB.NET, ...
As soon as there is a Java implementation for .NET also Java people may do

Torsten