Developing RPG (Tile-based graphics with transparency)

Frantisek Fuka fuxoft at terminal.cz
Sat Jul 28 11:35:15 UTC 2001

Hi,

I am new to Squeak and I'd like to create some sort of tile-based
graphical RPG (something like Angband or NetHack) in Squeak. I know
there's lots of ways to create the graphic output but I'm not sure which
is the right one.

First of all, I'll create a file tiles.png in PhotoShop, which will
contain the "palette" of all tiles that can appear in the game:
Monsters, items, wall, floor section, player etc... Then I'll import
this graphics to Squeak

tiles _ Form fromFileNamed: 'tiles.png'

Then, I create SystemWindow (or should I use something different?) in
which the main game map will appear. Now, I need the method that will
simply put 16x16 area of the tiles form at an arbitrary coordinates into
the SystemWindow while taking into account the transparency of original
png file so that I can i.e. display the floor section and a chest
standing on this section. Which method should I use?

Thanks for any help.

--
                                          Frantisek Fuka
(yes, that IS my real name)