Developing RPG (Tile-based graphics with transparency)

Frantisek Fuka fuxoft at terminal.cz
Sat Jul 28 15:33:46 UTC 2001

Alan Kay wrote:

> I meant "what else are you trying to do?".  Many easy things can be done
> in the children's authoring environment, but not all escalations with work.
>
> If you bring in a picture, get its "halo of handles" by cmd-click
> (alt-click on a PC) you will get its "viewer". If you move your picture
> around with the mouse you will see the x and y properties changing in
> the viewer. It is easy to make scripts that manipulate these properties
> by dragging out tiles from the viewer and dropping them on the desktop

I know what you are talking about but I don't know what this has to do
with what I'm trying to achieve. Once more. Let's say I have tiles.png
graphic file which is 20 pixels high and 50 pixels wide. It consists of
10 "tiles" images (A-J) with dimensions of 10x10 pixels like this:

ABCDE
FGHIJ

Now, I want to import this file into Squeak and use these tiles to
construct totally new image, for example this one, which will have
dimensions of 50 (height) x 100 (width) pixels.

AAAAAAAAAA
ABBBBBBBBA
ABCCCCCCBA
ABBBBBBBBA
AAAAAAAAAA

So, I only need to 1) create some sort of empty "canvas"; 2) BitBlt (or
something like that) tiles from tiles.png to this canvas. The result
should be a single bitmap (Form?), not a collection of small morphs!

--
                                          Frantisek Fuka
(yes, that IS my real name)
My E-mail:   fuxoft at terminal.cz