[Rant] Shrinking problems and rampant interdependencies

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Jul 28 21:12:54 UTC 2001

In message <a05100302b7866c1f6f80@[63.196.6.192]>
          Scott Wallace <sgwallace at pacbell.net> wrote:

> To solve your problem with very little effort, it should quite easily
> work to define a MiniScriptingSystem class, a simple subclass of
> Object, which will field all the message-sends directed to
> #ScriptingSystem in your trimmed-down image.
Actually I decided to (ab)use Morph for this purpose, since it seemed to
me that storing the icons for halos etc has very little to do with any
scripting system.

> Probably, the only message ever sent to ScriptingSystem by any
> objects remaining in your stripped-down system is #formAtKey:.
...and it seems like some helpString related bits here and there.

Like I said, even though I managed to remove the need for
StandardScriptingSystem I just couldn't build up the energy to decide
what (if anything) to do about Presenter. Some comments claim it is
optional, other code makes it look crucial... feh, never mind.

tim
Strange OpCodes: ESR: Emulate Slide Rule