Bongo a Java for kids

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Mon Jul 30 02:03:03 UTC 2001

StarSqueak (by John Maloney) is a pretty complete (and nicely
efficient) implementation of the main features of StarLogo including
patch diffusion, etc. There is a small plugin to the Squeak VM that
makes all go nicely. According to the MIT folks it is significantly
faster than their JAVA version of StarLogo (we are not sure why,
since no big attempts were made to optimize StarSqueak).
      John did as examples some of the "Golden Oldies" in StarLogo,
including Diffusion, Ants, Slime Molds, and Forest Fire. These are
all part of the StarSqueak Classes.
      The difference is that it is programmed in Squeak (and will
"soon" be programmable in the Etoys and Omniuser authoring
environments). This should make Mitchel Resnick's wonderful ideas and
POV much more accessable to a wider range of users.

Cheers,

Alan

------