The goal of K-12 CS education

Edwin Pilobello edwinp13 at home.com
Mon Jul 30 07:05:51 UTC 2001

NEW THREAD - was : Bongo a Java for kids

Scott,

In the US, Logo is not as popular anymore as in the rest of the world.  As
proof, there is a big conference coming up in Austria in August.  For Logo
links, check out http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/logo-foundation/

The Lego/Logo implementations are still going strong.  Although, I find that
kids would prefer iconographic (Robolab) as opposed to code.

*****

The real question is : "What is the goal of K-12 Computer Science
Education?"  I raise this question because I feel it's a very important
market for SQUEAK apps.

I submit that it is for the students to learn logic, structure and
object-orientation.  Next to playing "Hot, hot cold",  these concepts can be
learned through programming.  Throw in robotics and it becomes more
kinestetic and emergent.  It's hard for a kid to argue that his perfect
Robolab program isn't working because of the RCX.  It's easy to "act out"
the program to show that the robot is doing "exactly" what he told it to do.
Then they learn that programming is an applied IQ test ... pattern
recognition, classification, analogies, math, logical reasoning and general
knowledge

Problem is, they then hide behind the excuse that they haven't finished
constructing yet.  However good constructioNism is, it is still a subset
constructiVism.

It takes a great deal of trust before the kids can begin to explore on their
own and learn from their mistakes.  They are so conditioned to get punished
for their mistakes.  So they tend to want to hide their lack of
understanding.  After getting them to open up, get excited, and push the
class beyond the time limits, then the next probleam is cleaning up and
sorting the legos.

So, in my quest to find a solution to the logistical problems associated
with Lego/Logo, I thought of using animatronics.  This combines my two loves
of programming and robotics into high-tech puppetry. So the talking heads
got me into SQUEAK.  Again, I'd rather lug a notebook to class than a cart
with lots of connections and servos that the kids can't seem to keep within
design limits.  It's truly a "head-banger".

:-)  edwin

P.S. - If you wish to re-acquaint yourself with the turtle, I would
recommended MSW Logo for "pros" or ELICA, which is in a class all on it's
own.  Its realistic 3D engine is great for simulations, etc.  For kids,
check out either MicroWorlds Pro by LCSI or Terrapin Logo (both fee-based).
Links are under Resources at the Logo Foundation site.
	For a "head" try a "maxwell" from www.medonis.com. It's a lot cheaper than
those made for Hollywood.  Try a fitting a latex Halloween mask on it and
I'm sure any "kid" would have a blast.  I do!