StarSqueak (was: Bongo a Java for kids)

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Mon Jul 30 16:17:12 UTC 2001

I'd like to add that Mitchel Resnick's StarLogo and the examples
he describes are truely beautiful. Like Haiku poems, each StarLogo
program packs a whole universe into just a few lines.

Anyone who's interested in simulations, especially simulations of
biological systems, will find Mitchel's book:

  Turtles, Termites, and Traffic Jams:
    Explorations in Massively Parallel Microworlds
    (MIT Press, 1994)

fascinating reading. After reading it, I just couldn't keep myself
from implementing the core ideas in Squeak. I'd say the performance
of the Java version says a lot about what's wrong with Java. The Mac
version of StarLogo was written in Lisp, I believe, and it's quite fast.

	-- John