Interactive Fiction and Squeak

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Mon Jul 30 20:23:41 UTC 2001

"Interactive fiction" itself sounds like the oxymoron.  How can
something be interactive for the user, and be fiction...isn't it fact?
The player did this, and that, under a set of constraints (an imaginary
world).  There is no story in that, but the factual one that the user
actually experiences.

What about a sort of interactive non-fiction?  You could conceivably
create a game where the experiences of the player(s) are recorded and
easily reproduced, even allowing a sort of top down navigation of those
experiences.  From that, an interesting non-fictional (or fictionalized)
tale could be written, augmented with clips, or scenes from the actual
events.

It would be an multi-media tale about fictional or non-fictional events
in an imaginary world.  The question is, would something like that be
entertaining to people?

- Stephen