struggling with Celeste

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue Jul 31 21:22:44 UTC 2001

Hmm, actually, that's what I do all the time, I just never saw it as
anything but normal.

> a.	Wildly counter intuitive (in effect I'm sending the same password
> twice to the same agent).
Logically, maybe, yes. Physically, though, the two logins are probably
two different server programs (say, pppd calling login, and the pop
server (Telinco)) checking the same password database. Note that TCP/IP
doesn't generally require authentication, it's applications that do.

> b.	Terminologically dubious (is my ISP password a Pop 3 password?).
See above.

> But there may be design decisions here which I'm completely unaware of.
Maybe, but I don't think that any of them are part of Celeste - just the
server software. If netscape doesn't require you to enter a password to
access your mail, then it's probably cheating (assuming the password is
the one it sent to the dialer, and getting lucky). I for one, access my
mail on pop server belonging to ISP A while connected through ISP B, so
if I find Netscape let's me access my mail without entering my password,
I'll get pretty mad ;-) I'd check again that you don't have a profile
defined where you once did enter your password.

Daniel