[OT] Interactive Fiction is an Oxymoron

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 04:37:00 UTC 2001

Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

//snip//

> One key aspects of my world domination plan is that people should learn
> Smalltalk as their first language. Converting people who started with
> something else is such a pain - why bother? Those who are already
> programming today will be a minority in a few years, so it's no big
> deal if my plan leaves them out initially.
>
> The problem is that I have never read any Smalltlak book or tutorial
> written for non programmers, which is totally amazing considering what
> the language was created for. If I am wrong about this, please send me
> the references right away.

Well, the Open University's M206 tries to do this (you can probably find
someone who has the material in Brazil) but the OU seems to see M206 as
a fast path to Java, so I'm not so sure you'd approve of it!

I wonder how close Mark Guzdial's book comes to meeting the bill? I know
it's not designed with that in mind, but if you told people to ignore
the references to other languages, or maybe gave them 3 intensive days
teaching with Bash (Bash because it's useful and doesn't introduce C
habits as ksh or Csh would) first?

But this has nothing to do with the book or computer issue.....

Cheers

John