[newbie] Complex boolean value?

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Tue Jun 19 08:29:10 UTC 2001

=> 6/19/01 2:36:18 AM EDT, ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz =>
<< Let's face it, "number" is a concept from other languages too, >>

Yes, that is true. But to get someone to understand Smalltalk, you must teach
them that Number is something different in Smalltalk. It is a Class in the
Smalltalk hierarchy, and I can, for example, go and change the meaning of the
binary method #+ in Integer (a subclass of Number), if I so choose, and have
some meaningful results I intend to achieve by doing so.

Someone threw in the example:
    1000 factorial / 999 factorial
recently, which indeed looks quite trivial. I went and evaluated it in
Squeak, and sat and thought about the results for a good long while,
wondering what I was missing. When I figured it out, I was quite impressed. I
have been looking at expressions like this for 20 years -- why wasn't I
impressed before.

This is one of the things I like about Smalltalk -- its ability to astonish
one with things you thought you already knew. And it seems to do this on a
regular basis. A box of wonder, which regularly refreshes itself !

Hang in there,
Jerry.

Jerry L. Archibald
systemObjectivesIncorporated