Squeak ate my day's work! (or: how do I get my code out of an image?)

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 12 17:22:43 UTC 2001

We get into this state in our lab cluster on a regular basis.  Are
you working with Squeak on the local machine and your image/changes
file across a network (e.g., across Samba)?  If so, if there's a
network hiccup while you're trying to save to your changes file,
Squeak gets confused and the connection to the changes file is pretty
much hosed.  We encourage students to put their image/changes file in
the local temp directory and copy it back afterward to avoid this
problem.

Mark

At 12:01 PM -0500 6/12/01, Aaron J Reichow wrote:
>Thanks to everyone who replied to this...
>
>I'd follow up questions, but for some reason, an hour after sending the
>note about my problem, I was able to save again.  Windows networking and
>Squeak (it's probably just Windows getting very confused) don't play
>together around here.
>
>After copying and pasting decompiled methods for an hour, miracalously I
>was able to save the original, sick image.
>
>Thanks!
>Aaron (it's already been a long day...)
>
>Aaron Reichow  ::  Twin Ports ACM VP ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
>"The profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the
>path of least resistance is what makes a river crooked." -U. Utah Phillips

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu