Squeak ate my day's work! (or: how do I get my code out of an image?)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Jun 11 21:54:57 UTC 2001

--On Monday, June 11, 2001 4:05 PM -0500 Aaron J Reichow
<reic0024 at d.umn.edu> wrote:

> Good afternoon everyone,
>
> I was happily Squeaking along at work today, when the machine which shared
> my image, changes, and VM file crashed.  VM and image remained up and
> running, but I could no longer browse code.  (Message Not Understood:
> isSeperator) I've had this happen before,

Ouch! Is this a Squeak issue or a machine issue?

> and simply waiting for the
> machine to come back up and doing a save as... and restarting right where
> I left off from the newly saved image.
>
> Today, that didn't work.
>
> I managed to copy the image file (Windows 2000 at the GUI and command line
> level tells me "The specified network name is no longer available" when I
> try to copy the changes file).  However, when I open up the image file, I
> can't file out any of the reconscructed (by the decompiler) code.

Are you sure your changes file is hosed? I mean, what happened to the
*orginal* (not the save ased) changes file? It's pretty easy to reconstruct
an image from a changes file. (but if you don't have it, you don't have it)

> My questions:
>
> 1. I still have the broken image up and running.  Is there *anything* I
> can do to restore the image and changes files?  Attempting to save on a
> local drive doesn't work, as it cannot access the original changes file.

Again, do you still *have* the original changes file, anywhere? If so, you
may be able, aside from fileing in changes to a fresh image, reset the path
that the image is using to not find the changes file.

Does the specified network name not being available mean that the *file*
isn't available? I'm confused by that.

> 2. If I'm only left with the image file, is there any way to salvage my
> code from it?

Eh...Only the decompiled code (no comments or variable names :().

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.