New Block Closures

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Thu Jun 21 19:22:17 UTC 2001

Anthony Hannan <ajh18 at cornell.edu> wrote...

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>  replied...
>A really quite intelligable description of this scheme can be found in
>Eliot Miranda's 1987 OOPSLA paper on BrouHaHa. A reasonably well done
>implementation is probably worth a near doubling of send heavy
>benchmarks.

Yay, Back to the Future!

I did this in the NoteTaker Smalltalk implementation (1978) for an 8086 that ran at 8 (count 'em) MHz.  The ref is page 19 of the "green book" where the figure of 6 (count 'em) k bytes for the kernel interpreter also appears.

Interestingly I ran into Al Kossow a couple of weeks ago, and he forwarded to me a disk image that included the old code for the NoteTaker interpreter.

	- Dan