Very slow performance on faster machine

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Jun 27 04:38:57 UTC 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:49:26 -0500 timcuth at bellsouth.net (Tim Cuthbertson)
wrote:

>Does anyone know why Squeak 3.1 alpha would perform so extremely slowly on my
>office computer (500 mHz P-III, 256 MB RAM, Win NT 4.0 SP-6) when it performs
>very snappily on my much less capable home machine (P-II 300, 128 MB,
>Win98SE)? E.g., it takes about 4 seconds, maybe more, to print 1 factorial.
>Everything is similarly slow.

If it's just Squeak and not other Windows apps that are slower on this
machine, you may want to make sure that there's not something wrong with your
image.  Does a freshly downloaded 3.1alpha image perform this slowly?

Also, it might be worth checking the CPU meter in the Windows task manager
while Squeak is running (and while it's not running) to see if anything
unusual is going on.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com